Viola is one of my favourite characters. This is my theory explaining every reason why she should be the next Mugiwara, how events will unfold leading to her recruitment and arguing against common remarks made to derail her support and chances.
I understand you’ll probably disagree, but please hear me out, it’s worth a read
Parallels with Robin:
What stands out to me the most is her uncanny similarities with Robin in terms of plot role. This is not to be confused with physical similarities so many people miscomprehend, there are about as many physical similarities between Robin and Viola as there are similarities between Nami and the latter two. So anyways, Viola and Robin have very similar plot roles, a reason that works strongly in her favour:
- Nico Robin was working for the enemy, although for her own protection, this is very similar to Viola working for the enemy to protect her family
- The country of their recruitment arc is under the control of a very tactful Shichibukai
- Viola and Robin both sided with the Strawhats, initially in secret
- Both have very useful devil fruit abilities, it is important to note both are good at assassinations. All three (including Nami) are skilled with stealth, a pattern on the Strawhat crew which Viola fits very well
- Both fought the arc villain in a futile attempt to defeat them before Luffy comes to finish the job
- Both have nowhere to go after the defeat of the Shichibukai enemy is defeated, I will explain this in more detail later
- The port where she plans to leave is filled with Marines, like when the Mugiwara’s left Alabasta with Robin on board
There are several recruitment patterns which she fits into:
- MFMM gender pattern: within each sea the Strawhats have recruited a Male, Female, Male Male sequence. After Jinbe on Fishman Island (an unofficial member as of right now), Viola is the second, and Female recruit.
- Most Strawhats decline invitations from crewmates, but accept invitations from Luffy. Sometimes even initially declining Luffy’s invite at first, although eventually changing their mind. As we can see:
- Zoro accepted Luffy’s invitation
- Usopp accepted Luffy’s invitation, but declined invitations from both Zoro and Nami
- Sanji accepted Luffy’s invitation
- Nami accepted Luffy’s invitation
- Chopper accepted Luffy’s invitation but declined Nami’s invitation
- Robin didn’t even ask for an invitation, although it is inferred Luffy invited her, although this is unclear
- Franky accepted Luffy’s invitation, he also declined invitations from Sogeking and Sanji
- Brook accepted Luffy’s invitation
- Jinbe accepted Luffy’s invitation
- Viola has declined an invitation from Sanji already, this is foreshadowing that Luffy will invite her aboard, afterall, he will save her from Doffy, which almost matches Robin’s recruitment
- Luffy likes her:
- Luffy has always liked crewmembers before they join, and interacts with them. The recruits also interact with other members of the crew. They also always end up fighting the Arc villain at some point, even if it’s very brief: of course, Luffy himself likes himself and fought Alvida, so even he fits the pattern.
- Zoro was considered a good person and fought against Morgan
- Nami was considered a good person and fought Buggy and had conflicts with Arlong
- Usopp was adored by Luffy due to his lies, he helped Luffy against Kuro
- Sanji fought briefly with Krieg. Luffy witnessed his caring nature when he fed Gin and thought he was a good person
- Chopper was seen as a badass meat supply with 7 forms that fought with Wapol, and we know how much Luffy loves meat
- Robin was saved by Luffy, Robin fought Crocodile, Luffy deemed her a good person and expressed this view on the Merry before she joined
- Franky fought briefly with Luffy against Lucci. Luffy also therefore deemed Franky fit to join
- Brook fought and helped fight against Moriah, Luffy loved the guy!
- Jinbe was already a good friend with Luffy after Marineford and briefly tossled with Hody
- Viola has helped Luffy muliple times, he likes her and she is currently fighting DoffY
- She had a chapter named after her. As every other Mugiwara did. This was not the case with Vivi or Monet… so yeah.
- She is designed incredibly accurately:
- Luffy is Oda’s own reflection on what he was like as a teenager and child
- Zoro is an amalgamation of Francois L’ollonais, a buckeneer who was very skilled with swords, who’s name sounds similar to Roronoa when pronounced in japanese. On top of that, his parallels with El Zorro also are clear as he is a good person and yet a wanted man and considered a ‘Demon’, again, Zorro is a good swordsman
- Nami is based upon Catwoman. Both have an obsession with money and specialise in stealth and other dastardly deeds. Nami’s epithet is ‘Cat Burglar’, which is another name Catwoman goes by in the comics. She even has a sister and an adoptive mother, like Catwoman. The ambiguity of their allegiances matched back in Arlong Park and they even have similar fighting styles (with Staffs and gymnastics)
- Usopp is named after Aesop, the man who initially orated the tale of the Boy Who Cried Wolf. Usopps lies are amazingly all becoming true, he is the ultimate foreshadowing device, much like the boy in the story. He also has a long nose based upon Pinocchio and is an articulate amalgamation of liars
- Sanji is based upon Steve Buscemi and Romeo Capulet. The ultimate ladies-man. He dresses similarly to Steve in Reservoir Dogs, but also looks like Leonardo Dicaprio in his role as Romeo from the 1998 Hollywood movie – Romeo and Juliet. On top of that he is a chain smoker, like Steve.
- Chopper is obviously designed on Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer. Not just due to his discoloured blue nose, but due to the fact he was called an outcast. He also pulled a sled “through the sky” on Drum Island.
- Robin is based upon Cinderella. She has a horrible aunt and did a lot of chores around the house, exactly like Cinderella and her step sisters. Robin running away from the World Government is exactly like Cinderella running from the ball. Kuzan’s ice pathway symbolises the glass staircase and glass slippers Cinderella wore.
- Franky, at least pre timeskip, looked like Ace Ventura and Popeye the Sailorman. I don’t know much about Ace, but Popeye consuming Spinach made him much more powerful, likewise, this is the effect Cola had on Franky. Franky building the Sunny is also like Popeye building his own ship.
- Brook is like a sailor from the poem ‘Rime of the Ancient Mariner’, in which a man’s crew dies because of disease, and they all sing one last song together as they drop dead one by one. He was the first mate of the Rumbar pirates (as was the sailor), and their pasts match this perfectly. The sailor also, like Brook, had the goal to find his friend at the end of the ocean (Laboon).
- Viola is based on a woman called Violet Gibson. Of course, the names are very similar, but even greater parallels can be drawn. Both were skilled dancers. Both attempted to assassinate a fascist dictator (Mussolini and Doflamingo, this is symbolised through their fight going on right now). And lastly, her last words were “I can see everything”, alluding to her Giro Giro no Mi. She was remarked as insane and mentally ill which also parallels her decision to fight Doflamingo, her behaviour around men and surely knowing what everyone is thinking would drive you mad.
Clearly, Oda puts in a lot of effort into making the Strawhats very accurately designed. I understand that a lot of people will say he does this with a lot of characters. Which is true, but all of the characters like that are incredibly important to the story and unless Viola becomes a Strawhat, she won’t fulfil this role. It’s a lot of wasted effort if Viola is so well designed and planned if she doesn’t have immense relevance to the story, as she isn’t a world leading figure, she will have to be a Strawhat.
Of course, her past is incredibly sad. Like the rest of the Strawhats. I don’t feel I need to explain them all, but surely being held to ransom for 10 long years, working to save her family and watching everyone getting killed whilst she is helpless is very similar to two other Strahwats:
Nami and Robin. This is yet another pattern she fulfils. Not just as a member with a sad past, but a member with a similar past to the other two members of the same gender. Afterall, Nami was held to ransom and worked to save her village, and watched helplessly as many got killed. Likewise, Robin was helpless to stop the buster call or her fellow researchers from being slaughtered.
Her dream can easily be revealed later. It’s possible her dream relates to the abolition of the Shichibukai, or taking Shichibukai down. Other possiblities are to reduce or abolish corruption in the world, afterall, she can see it all, and she used to be very trusting. This dream would involve taking down or changing the World Government: which ties into the Shichibukai system which relates to Doffy, the villain that shaped her life.
Plans to leave Dressrosa:
Viola had explained to Sanji that she already had plans to leave Dressrosa. This debunks the arguments made about her needing to stay because she is royalty. Besides, she is third in line after Riku and Rebecca
She, being a former pirate of one of the most evil groups we’ve seen thus far will have a bounty and become a wanted woman. We know this to be true because of the Strawhats send off from Alabasta: the Strawhats couldn’t vocally respond to Vivi because she could have been associated with pirates and become a wanted woman:
This is exactly what will happen to Viola. And for her own protection she will join the crew. She already intended to leave the country.
Position on the Sunny:
Obviously she would be a lookout and dancer to go with Brooks music. A perfect combination.
As she has a habit of stabbing those who betray her or cheat her, Viola could have a running gag of chasing Sanji around with her knife trying to stab him after he flirts with Nami and Robin. Due to Usopp’s lies, she could also have a running gag with him as her powers are the antithesis of his habits. She fits perfectly with the crew.
Why she won’t be overpowered:
Her clairvoyance isn’t always active. If it was she would have seen the Donquixote Invasion hours before it occurred.
Simply put, she wouldn’t ruin the suspense or thrill of the sea journeys in the slightest. Her powers probably use a lot of stamina, which also makes sense. A further parallel with Robin, making her a likely candidate is that their fruits are perceived as ‘overpowered’ and yet Oda could and has easily nerfed the fruit powers.
She’s ‘not too’ similar to Robin:
- Viola is a close combat fighter whilst Robin fights in long range
- Viola is 20cm shorter than Robin
- Robins face looks completely different. Eyes are different sizes, and Robins nose is far more flat and square, their hair is also a different style and slightly different colours
- They even dress differently
- Differences in terms of plot also exist, such as the fact it took Robin 4 arcs to join from introduction, whereas Viola only one (most likely)
- Robins history had no reveal until 180 chapters after she joined. Viola’s past has already been touched upon
The argument about being too similar is also very wrong.
What will likely transpire is Viola, already wanting to leave, also being an outcast will say goodbye to her family and find Luffy, Zoro, Kin’emon etc.
She will also show us what is happening on Big Mom’s ship with her Devil Fruit. She will become a plot device.
She will have a bounty placed on her head like the rest of the crew, who may have theirs increased (like when Robin and Franky joined) due to her taking part in defeating Doflamingo and the Donquixote Family. Being a wanted woman, she would have to leave her family behind. Her father: Riku, would probably want her to travel with the Dressrosa heroes: Luffy and Law. As we saw with Vivi, if she became wanted she would have had to leave Alabasta. Because Viola will be wanted, she will have to leave.
*Theory by L o g i a